Free professional development for Maryland teachers on Computer Science in K8
PLEASE NOTE: All PD for 2020-21 is online.
- Integrating AI for all grade levels and subject areas 1 CPD credit (15 hours: Monday and Thursday evenings. November 30, December 3,7,10,14,17 from 7-8pm each night Register
- Ongoing Praxis study sessions. Visit cs4md.com/cert for more info
PD for the 2020-21 School Year.
- JUST-IN-TIME sessions: help you get your class set up, get access to all of the online materials, and go over the first unit of each course. Starts this week. Choose your session. (see below and on the sign-up form for details)
- ONGOING workshops: large groups of teachers who are all teaching the same classes get together during the school year to go over the upcoming units, share resources, and discuss challenges and solutions. Start meeting in September and throughout the year.
- Scratch 4th Thursday of each month from 4-5:30
- Computer Science Discoveries (also called FOCS or ECS)
Late Summer and Fall PD 2020 - may be offered again
|Foolproof distance learning strategies for all grades|| In this 3 week-long professional development, teachers will learn how to bring the very best teaching strategies to the distance learning environment. With a focus on creating implementable classroom plans, teachers will work through six asynchronous modules to learn research-backed and classroom-tested strategies to build classroom culture, easily differentiate to meet the needs of all learners, and elevate their virtual learning experience by infusing creativity and collaboration.
Read more about the sessions here. Choose Tuesday afternoons 2-3:30pm or Wednesday evenings 6-7:30pm. Total time needed to complete the course is about 3 hours a week for each week of the 3 Week Program: MCCE August 18-Sept 2 - STILL GOING ON
|Creative communication and problem-solving in the K-8 classroom using Scratch||Experience a unit of Scratch as a student and discuss the many ways you can teach communication, problem-solving, and the design process in your classroom to bring students together around creative expression. In this two week professional development experience teachers will take on the role of student. Experience first-hand how Scratch could be introduced to create a culture of creativity and problem solving in your classroom from day one -- and empower your students to use computer science and coding to express themselves. This PD will start with an introduction and then will be run in a flipped classroom model -- teachers will experience two weeks of Scratch as a student asynchronously, and we will meet synchronously to discuss and plan for classroom implementation. 0.5 CPD credits. Meet Mondays and Wednesday from 4-5pm for 2 weeks to discuss and share ideas. Read more about these session here. August 17-28, about 4 hours a week needed to complete the program.||Register|
|Integrating Artificial Intelligence||Are you new to Artificial Intelligence? Are you curious to know how you can incorporate some of these high-interest ideas and engaging activities in any class? Join this online class of interactive activities from MindSpark Learning and IBM with local online discussion groups to build your understanding of how Artificial Intelligence affects all of us and how we can inform the students of today to be informed consumers and creators. 1 CPD credit (15 hours: Monday and Thursday evenings. October 5,8, & 12,15, & 19,22 from 7-8pm each night for a total of 6 in-person sessions and 9 hours of time on your own doing interactive activities online.)||Register|
|Effective online teaching with CS||
Choose any of these webinars to learn from others who have been teaching online