CS in Preservice
- Mahnaz Moallem - Towson U. Connections between many projects - Education
- Linda Cooper - secondary Math & Director of Towson UTeach which is TU's teacher prep program for secondary level math, science, and CS - Admin/Logistics,
- Mike Flinn - CS faculty at Frostberg doing CS Education outreach and K-12 teacher support for over a decade
- Lori Sheetz - Private School Perspective - core math sequence and science, math, and social studies methods, pre-service teacher workshop series, professional development workshops for university faculty, mentor teachers, and university supervisors
- Amy Green - Preservice Education Perspective (ES science methods) - CSforAll grant integrating CS into NGSS curriculum. Focus on CS/CT for Conservation/Sustainability/Environmental Literacy Education
- Renuka Kumar - in CS Dept - Community college - early in the implementation - integrating into education classes - 2+2 pathway with Towson
Chat Moderator: Irene A. Bal, Loyola; Panel Moderator: Dianne O'Grady Cunniff, MCCE; Photographer: Abena Njeeri, MCCE
- Our presentation for the Atlanta Panel Discussion
- Read about our programs and strategies on the CS in Maryland Preservice page.
- Brief history/background of MCCE (cs4md.com/about-us)
- Interested in working with us? Let us know which projects are of interest for collaboration.
- Generating buy-in for CS/CT can be difficult, especially for audiences of educators who did not learn CS/CT in school themselves, and/or for educators for whom CS/CT is not already a required part of their instructional program. What do your audience [ e.g., preservice, in-service] seem to identify as the biggest challenges or barriers to:
- a) reaching a comfort level with the core ideas/skills of CS/CT in order to teach others and
- b) implementing it
- How have you supported them to resolve those challenges?
- What are your biggest challenges (and solutions?) on a system level and what strategies do you suggest?
- What best practices have you encountered for supporting diverse learners in CS/CT. For example, emergent multilingual students in CS (e.g. students learning CS in a language other than their first)
- What have you done in your classes to introduce preservice students to CS and CT?