Resources for teaching non-AP computer science in middle school and high school
This resource with dozens of free options for online learning curing this crisis is constantly being updated with lots of free resources especially for this situation: http://www.amazingeducationalresources.com/, join the FaceBook group for more info.
Article on integrating CS into your plans https://medium.com/csforall-stories/3-ways-to-integrate-computer-science-into-your-covid-19-planning-5720aecaa270
Here are some great resources to try out
Code.org is providing resources https://code.org/athome to support all of their classes, with special resources for CS Discoveries
Khan academy has ramped up to respond. They’ve tested systems to make sure they can meet the increased demand, developed daily schedules for students, hosted webinars for teachers and parents, and started holding daily livestreams. Please keep checking the resource page as it gets updated regularly.
Codesters offers free unlimited use of our Python learn-to-code platform for the 2019-2020 school year. Codesters' 30 minute distance learning webinar will help you get started. You have 2 dates to choose from. Register Here for Codesters Webinar Mar 26, 2020 02:00 PM EST Mar 27, 2020 02:00 PM EST
BlocksCAD https://www.blockscad3d.com/distance_learning builds math and computer science skills by using specialized 3D CAD (computer-aided drafting) software. NO PRINTER NEEDED! A block-based coding platform allows students to create and manipulate 3D objects while using geometry and computational thinking skills. We'd like to support teachers by offering anyone in a closed school the chance to have access to BlocksCAD for Education Premium for free until the end of the school year.
- CMU CS Academy https://academy.cs.cmu.edu/splash Provides a free, online, interactive textbook for high school and middle school teachers to use to teach computer science
- Codesters https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeVs2GIZcfOsC-_SMuWpLzHHg4e5NoBIhoe-QL4Au52SQvmfA/viewform With many schools temporarily closing due to the coronavirus outbreak we recognize the enormity of issues currently facing school communities. Codesters is offering free, 30 day unlimited use of our Python learn-to-code platform to any school that is planning for a temporary closure. Codesters Python Part I Curriculum
- EduCode Academy Coding Lessons / Computer Science educode.org EduCode™ makes coding and computer science education accessible for kids of all learning styles and backgrounds, on a large scale, without the need for guidance from a teacher. Self-directed courses empower kids to learn coding independently. EduCode's key difference resides in our video micro-lessons, which break down complex computer science concepts into fun and engaging exercises. Rich storylines provide context and motivation throughout the learning journey. 2 months free for all families
- MAD-learn 6th - 8th mad-learn.com/covid19 Build mobile apps with your students! Free licenses to MAD-learn for teachers and students
- Python with Penjee STEM High School https://penjee.com Teach kids python. Penjee was made to help kids transition from block coding to their first programming language-Python. It offers virtual classroom so teachers follow student progress and provide feedback along the way. Penjee will be free for the remainder of the 2020 school year (through July).
- Thunkable STEM 6th - 8th, High School, Higher Education https://blog.thunkable.com/learning-computer-science-at-home-thunkable-education-resources-6280e119e5a9 Learning Computer Science at Home — Thunkable Education Resources Free computer science curriculum that teaches students how to build mobile apps.
- Grasshopper. https://grasshopper.app/ Is a free app for learning to program through fun games and puzzles
- CoderZ is free this school year and gives kids hands-on virtual robotics opportunities
LISTS OF RESOURCES:
- CSTA has also curated resources for online teaching and teaching about coronavirus
- These online resources are being updated dailyhttp://www.amazingeducationalresources.com/ for many subject areas with special free access for schools.
- CYBER: The National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education (NICE) launched a new webpage to provide a list of links to free and low cost online cybersecurity learning content. Please see the announcement below or online here.
Open P-TECH This is IBM’s newly released platform offering a free digital education experience to equip young people and educators with foundational knowledge about topics like cybersecurity, AI and cloud computing, plus professional skills like design thinking, resume writing and interviewing. Open P-TECH gives students and teachers access to the same badges that IBMers take! Students can earn "digital badges" that can be added to their resumes, demonstrating their knowledge and skills as they apply for employment or higher education. Additionally, teachers can also stay connected with students outside the classroom with access to activities and lesson plans to extend the learning that students complete on the platform. The free IBM program also comes with a student progress dashboard to monitor progress and assign new content to students. You can learn more and register here. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions.
IBM Skills Curated programs and courses on IBM Skills that give you the tools to explore new ideas, careers and courses so that you can reach your full potential. We have resources for students, teachers, and parents to engage in learning like a professional development series on AI for teachers and live events for students. You'll find a curation of coursework by topic and other learning resources that can be used anytime, anywhere.