Would you like to earn an endorsement to teach computer science in Maryland?
Are you motivated to do a deep dive into computer science concepts to cover the breadth of knowledge needed to pass the PRAXIS CS II 5652 exam and become a certified CS teacher in Maryland?
Thanks to a generous grant from Microsoft, Maryland is able to offer a program to current public school teachers, who are teaching computer science, to receive a $1,000 award for participating in our CS certification program and passing the Praxis 2 CS exam. You must apply and be accepted into the program to earn the award.
Teacher participant requirements:
- Be a certified public school teacher in Maryland who is currently teaching, or has already taught at least one year of computer science at the middle or high school level and will teach CS again next year.
- Sign up using this form. to join the program. (you can choose to join study sessions, or just to access online materials if you prefer)
- Choose a date and sign up through Learning Stream for a free study session if you want to.
- Participate in the program. Complete the required online study materials and optional in-person study sessions.
- Pass the CS Praxis 2 exam. See the site for testing date windows.
You will receive a $1,000 stipend if you complete this.
All Maryland teachers are invited to attend the Praxis preparation workshops and use our online study materials. Private school teachers are welcome to apply and attend, but will not earn the stipend upon completion.
Do you want to know more about what is covered on the exam? View the study materials here for a quick overview.
Additional consideration will be given to teachers who have:
- taught more than 1 year of computer science in Maryland
- definite plans to teach CS in a Maryland public school next year.
- experience at a high school or middle school level
- principal and/or district recommendation.
- taught in rural districts, urban districts, or are from underrepresented groups.
If districts want to pay teachers a stipend to attend a workshop, they can do that with their MCCE funding, but it is optional since teachers will earn a reward for their time.
Resources to get started:
The Khan Academy provides an excellent suite of lessons that align with the CS Praxis 5652 exam.
Study help workshop dates:
- Check the secondary professional development page for upcoming free Praxis study workshops. All teachers are welcome. By participating in the Saturday review sessions, you are not making a commitment to join the formal study program described above. View the details for the upcoming workshops here.
- Recorded videos of some of the sessions are available on the Maryland CS Education YouTube channel.
Meet our great team of facilitators here to support you on your journey!