MCCE recorded webinars
Local school systems: please email MCCE at usmd dot edu to request any customized webinars to support your educators.
Marina Bers discusses Coding as another Language in Early Childhood and learning through play.
Part 1: Pedagogy and Philosophy https://youtu.be/kQO7R5tyePM
Part 2: The Coding as Another Language Curriculum https://youtu.be/FX4QZV_Mtq8
Four part series on CS in preservice programs March 2022
1. Part 1/4: Welcome & introductions with Dewayne Morgan (USM); Dianne O'Grady-Cunniff (MCCE) presents on lessons learned, next steps, and looking towards integration.
2. Part 2/4: Fred Bartlett Jr. (CCBC) on introducing CS across multiple required courses in the first years of an education program.
3. Part 3/4: Peter Moon, Janet Walkoe, and David Weintrop (UMD, College Park iSchool) on integrating CS into the math classroom.
4. Part 4/4: Jared O'Leary, Peter Rich, and Carlos Leon from BootUp PD on looking at a model for building student abilities.
Elementary and Higher Ed Summit March 2022
- Elementary teachers and Higher Education faculty explore different models for meeting the CS education standards in districts across the state of Maryland. What options they selected, and why they selected it. Caroline County: BootUp PD Kent County: Tynker Baltimore City: Code.org Washington County: robotics and working across areas Howard County: project based units developed internally Baltimore County: integrated CS with digital literacy developed internally
- An overview of the current aspirational goals to develop a roadmap to provide high-quality computer science in elementary statewide.
|K-12: CS, CT, cybersecurity, AI, and Praxis Study||Preservice and higher education topics - Higher ed channel|
Artificial Intelligence Symposium 2021
- AI in K5 and Preservice
- Careers in AI
- Secondary AI
- AI for All - Find videos on ai-4-all teacher resources.
- Mindspark and IBM AI and cyber lesson
- Developing AI literacy with DAILY AI from MIT middle school curriculum
- From high school to jobs
- (2022) Four Maryland teachers share their experience offering AI in an AI For ALL presentation
- Spring 2021 Higher Education Summit.
- Chancellor Jay Perman introduction and welcome. (4:01)
- Digital Promise Microcredentials for computational thinking. (24:18)
- Loyola University results of offering microcredential experiences for computational thinking.
- Praxis study materials for preservice programs. (40+ minutes)
- STIG-CT - computational thinking integrated into science. (40+ minutes)
- Understanding MD CS standards and preparing teachers to teach them.
- Running after-school programs as a way to broaden participation and give education students opportunities to learn alongside K12 students.
- AI in elementary and preservice education (from the AI symposium)
- Shared scenarios on K-8 education and resources including CS teacher educator standards.
- Summer 2020 workshop series
- 6/29: Overview: bringing education faculty into CS
- 7/6 K-8 Integration
- 7/20 Methods: integrated and standalone
- 7/27 Field experiences
- 8/3 Wrap-up and planning
- MD CS Summit Parts 1, 2, and 3
- 4/10 Hood College, Mt. St. Mary's, Loyola, Frostburg, Equity in CS.
- 5/22 Washington College, St. Mary's College of MD, integration, preservice CS for all
- 6/12 Towson, Salisbury, Delaware, Morgan
- Computing with Littles. Computer science with Pre-K to 2nd grade with Meg Ray at Cornell University.
- David Weintrop from UMD on Current research in K12 CS Education (video recording)
- Friday 2/21 12:00noon - 12:45 Beth Simon from UCSD on what programming experiences do future teachers need most?
- Tuesday 2/11 7pm-7:30pm The basic math behind artificial intelligence
- Friday 2/7 3:30pm-4:15 Cybersecurity in K12. What do K12 teachers need to know? (video recording part 1 and part 2)
- Friday 1/24 3:30pm-4:14 Artificial intelligence in K12. Engaging ideas on and off of the computer. (video recording - presentation)
- Friday 1/17 1pm Chris Stephenson Head of CS education at Google on the importance of CS in preservice programs (video recording - presentation)
- Friday 1/17 11am the best of tactics for teaching computer science (video recording - presentation)
- Friday 1/10 1 pm Jenn Rosato from the National Center for Computer Science Education (video recording - presentation)
Presentations are at bit.ly/MCCEPreservice and bit.ly/MCCEcyber
- Highly Engaging units for secondary students with full materials for teachers
- Artificial intelligence unit for the end of the year. 5/21 4:00pm. (video recording and lesson plans)
- Introducing a unit for high school students on election security in Maryland. 5/14 Thursday 3:30-4:30pm. (video recording and lesson plans)
- Using vex robotics to engage new programmers. mcce.info/vex
- Cyber smarts for teachers - what to know about the safety of your communication online. Tom Currier, Calvert County
- Effective Online learning
- Sustaining engagement and learning in distance learning from UMGC (video recording and presentation)
- Making the transition to online learning. Basic considerations. (video recording and handout of top 5 tips for remote learning)
- Praxis Study - on the Maryland CS Education YouTube channel Praxis study playlist
- Computers and networks. Studying for the CS Praxis.
- Pseudocode introduction for CS Praxis
- Impacts of computing for the Praxis
- Overview of the test
- and more.
(sign up here for Praxis study webinars)